Thursday, November 10, 2011

My Heroes





Wal mart stores have had, for several years, a Wall of Heroes in the stores, with photos of veterans on display. I first knew of this a week ago, so I came home and looked for photos of my own heroes: my grandparents, father, and husband. The photography department of the store scanned my photos and printed two 5 by 7" copies--one for the Wall of Heroes and one for me. Top: my dad, Arthur Kerr, who served in the Navy in WWII. Next is his dad, Walter S. Kerr, who was a private in 1918 in WWI. Third is Eva Stebbins, my grandmother (second from left). She was an Army nurse in WWI. She had to leave the service early to return home to nurse her brother Walter, who had been injured in a battle in France. Last photo is Ron Turcotte; photo was taken in 1970 at Bien Hoa, Vietnam. He was stationed at Phuoc Vinh, but he'd gone to Bien Hoa to visit a buddy. He was a Spec 5 in the First Cav. division; when he returned home, he was in Special Forces (Green Berets). Deep appreciation to all vets and especially to my heroes. Thank you to Wal mart, to our town's American Legion who serves a free Veterans Day dinner to all vets in town, and to my husband's employer for allowing him to use a floating holiday to attend the free dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment